How To Buy A Green Home
If you are in the market to buy an eco-friendly dwelling, researchers say you should expect to pay more, on a national average 9% more, than comparable homes that are not green. They are more sustainable, have lower utility costs and healthier.
What makes a home green?
Green is vogue, and green is vague.
And if you use the term wrong, there is always the bigger and badder hippie who will accuse you of green-washing: the practice of marketing a product as eco-friendly when it really isn’t.Bring it.
How to define a green home?
- Limits over-usage of resources – It is energy efficient
- Healthy – Utilizes non-toxic materials
- Sustainable Future – locally sourced materials and sustainable
Who is a green real estate expert in your market?
Earth Advantage does a certification for realtors, but plenty of realtors know green, and a certificate usually won’t guarantee the agent is an expert; only that they paid someone to say they were. I bet you could ask for referrals, interview a few on the phone, and pick a favorite.The green types, we recognize each other.
Indicators of a Green Home
- Appliances – Energy Star can be a plus
- Windows – double pane
- Heat and Air System – refurbished duct system, programable thermostat
- Plumbing – water system, In-line water heaters
- Could do an energy audit – Pro Energy Consultants are
- You can ask for paper work but some don’t have it – the certification process for a lot of green features may not be standardized yet.
Discern the dwelling’s relationship to the land.
- The home’s orientation – sun exposure and prevailing winds, which affect maintenance, heating and cooling
- Landscaping – Look for native plants sustainable watering demands
Let’s talk. Those of us who are passionate about green tend to have a deeper knowledge of the product. And because, here is the good news: I can get you there! I have a mortgage product that will absorbthe costs of making a home energy efficient, and provide you with one simple payment.
I even have a motgage product that will Refinance your home to be more green.